ML Matchbooks

modlib at alltel.net modlib at alltel.net
Sat Feb 4 16:30:21 EST 2006

> There may be many. The price and numbers of titles referred to on
> this matchbook dates it to 1944. The other one on Dogeared dates to
> 1933. So there's over a decade of possible matchbook advertising!

Hi Scot!

It may date to slightly earlier than that.  Given the 'Have you seen the new bindings' text, it is likely no earlier than 1940, but likely close to it.  Given the price of both regular and giant, it is no later than 1945 nor earlier than 1940.  I don't think the number of books helps since it could be adding in both regular and giant editions (not unlikely since both prices are shown).  There were more than 300 available from 1940 through 1945.

So, the early limiting factor is when the price of Giants changed from $1.25 to $1.45.  You have indicated that was 1943.  Are we sure of that?  Given the price in the 1943 catalog (and I have a Spring 1943 dj from a giant edition indicating $1.45), it was no later than that.  Have we confirmed Giants printed in 1941 and 1942 had a price of $1.25?

ron