BOMC Brochure

JOHN PETERSON jpetersonlhi at verizon.net
Thu Dec 28 14:53:59 EST 2006

A bookseller friend gave me today a 16 page brochure/catalog from the Book
of the Month Club dated March, 1939 with the heading, FREE BOOKS.  These
were available to members who made advance deposits, one free book for every
$12 deposited in advance.  The tie-in with ML is that most of the books
offered for free were #7 MLs, and ML Giants.  The brochure cover depicts
many MLs.  However, also offered were Miscellaneous BOMC overstocks, Blue
Ribbon Library, Star Dollar Library, Novels of Distinction series, Sun Dial
Library, and Children's Classics.  On the back of the brochure is a form to
send along with the advance deposit and to indicate the free book(s)
desired.

I remember reading about collaboration between BOMC and ML (e.g.,
Illustrated Alice from BOMC overstock), but I had never heard of this one,
nor of a Book of the Month Club soliciting advance deposits during the late
30's.  Anyone ever heard of this before?

John Peterson