Tono-Bungay

Madaline Reddy mac-reddy at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 27 20:23:31 EST 2006

Yes, I read the same blurb, Bill, yet our entire
library system owns 2 copies.  Therefore, I won't feel
so insecure that my collection is half jacketless.
It's valuable in another way.

I hesitate to add comments to this board. I don't want
to say the obvious but sometimes I do, anyway.
Everytime I have, I have been rewarded. After our
notes on Upstream, I read the book and was enthralled.

 There are a lot of 'winners' in Modern Library, I
have heard.  I hope some of these books are not
forgotten. Will we be walking around like the
characters in Fahrenheit 451 reciting our books?

--- Bill DiBenedetto <billdi at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have not read it but I found this blurb about it,
> which induces me to put
> it high up on my "to read" list:
>

> "Tono-Bungay (1909) is widely regarded as Wells's
> finest novel, combining
> futuristic science fiction and contemporary social
> satire. In it, George
> Ponderovo is apprenticed to his Uncle Edward, a
> dynamic chemist who invents
> a bogus medicine, Tono-Bungay, and earns a vast
> fortune. But as he witnesses
> Edward's spectacular rise, he also contemplates the
> corrupt English society
> that allows his uncle to wield so much power. No
> other writer has the
> breadth of Wells to encompass both George's personal
> breakdown and the full
> panorama of a degenerate imperial society."
>
> bill
> 206-491-0296 (work)
> 206-963-0499 (personal)

Madaline