Tono-Bungay

Bill DiBenedetto billdi at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 27 19:33:06 EST 2006

I have not read it but I found this blurb about it, which induces me to put
it high up on my "to read" list:

"Tono-Bungay (1909) is widely regarded as Wells's finest novel, combining
futuristic science fiction and contemporary social satire. In it, George
Ponderovo is apprenticed to his Uncle Edward, a dynamic chemist who invents
a bogus medicine, Tono-Bungay, and earns a vast fortune. But as he witnesses
Edward's spectacular rise, he also contemplates the corrupt English society
that allows his uncle to wield so much power. No other writer has the
breadth of Wells to encompass both George's personal breakdown and the full
panorama of a degenerate imperial society."

bill
206-491-0296 (work)
206-963-0499 (personal)