Modern Library Collection for Sale

HTatML at aol.com HTatML at aol.com
Thu Dec 21 12:35:38 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/21/2006 9:12:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
aa3401 at wayne.edu writes:
This is extremely confusing. As I understand it, you're asking people to bid
on having first, second, and third crack at buying books from your collection.
Does the high bidder get as many items from your collection as he or she
wants at the prices you set? The second highest bidder then gets what's left after
the first bidder has his pick? Or does the winner get to choose one item, the
second highest bidder then chooses one item, etc.?

Are the bids credited against purchases or are they in addition to the cost
of the books? What if a second or third place winner finds there's nothing left
he wishes to buy or that the prices are higher than he wishes to pay -- is
the bid refundable in that case?

Am I correct in assuming that the books will be offered at set prices and
that people are bidding on priority in being given the opportunity to buy them?

Any serious collector who was seen your collection knows you have fabulous
books in fabulous condition, but longtime collectors have fewer gaps to fill
than newer collectors and might find it less worthwhile to bid a large sum to
gain the right to acquire a limited number of needed rarities.

The ground rules need to be spelled out in detail so that it's clear to
people what they're bidding on.

Barry
Clarifcation of the above:

The highest bidder will be able to buy as many books he or she wants. The
second highest what remains etc.

The amount paid by the first three winners will not be refunded against the
books, except in the case that they buy nothing.

Books will be offered at set prices and in most cases will follow the prices
in the ML Price Guide.

I am hoping shortly after the new year to have a complete list of the books
for sale with details of condition and price.

I am not sure whether this server  can take attachments. Would appreciate
knowing?

Books etc.,
298 4th Avenue, # 395
San Francisco