Dostoevksy misseppling on DJ

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Thu Dec 14 18:07:37 EST 2006

Barry and all else,

Thanks, Barry, for the confirmation. Much appreciated.

Thanks to all who responded.

-Michael Watson

At 05:39 PM 12/14/2006, you wrote:

>The first printing of the Crime and Punishment jacket has the
>misprint (DOSTOYEVKSY) you refer to on the front panel. Dostoyevsky
>is correctly spelled on the title page and binding spine. My jacket
>is missing the top inch of so of the spine, but there's just enough
>of the last three letters to suggest it's misspelled there too.
>Whoever set the type for the jacket obviously got a little mixed up.
>The spelling was corrected on later jackets as shown in the 1934 dj
>on the ML Collecting list.
>
>Crime and Punishment was published in January 1932, and like most
>January titles it had a jacket with the previous fall's list
>(includes Balzac, Droll Stories but not Dreiser, Sister Carrie).
>
>Thank you for posting this query. I've had this book for years and
>never noticed the misprint on the jacket!
>
>Barry

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569
http://www.20ants.com
   books, individually and in lots. Specializing in fine press and non-fiction.
   Member of Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)
http://www.ioba.org
   Offering a safe bookbuying experience at
http://www.iobabooks.com/browse_books.php?id=47132