Why would Random House ask for its own books???

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Sun Dec 10 21:19:18 EST 2006

Barry,

The thing that I find interesting is that they didn't have their own
copies. Why wouldn't a publisher have copies of its own backlist,
especially for ones published in recent years?

On Dec 10, 2006, at 6:08 PM, Gordon Neavill wrote:

> Scott,
>
> This was the period when RH was converting the Modern Library from
> letterpress (relief) printing plates to offset lithograhy. They
> took clean copies of backlist titles, photographed the pages, and
> made offset plates from the negatives. They wanted to photograph
> copies of first or very early printings since later printings
> tended to show wear and batter to the plates. It was shortly before
> this period that offset lithographic printing had become cheaper
> than letterpress printing. Today nearly all printing is
> photolithographic; "hot" metal type isn't involved at any stage. I
> discussed this in my column in ML Collector 44.
>
> Thanks for finding this ad! I hadn't seen it before. Somewhere I
> have a list of titles that RH hadn't been able to convert to offset
> lithography ... when I get time I'll compare it to this list.
>
> Barry

"He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant, and she was the
East River." - from an anonymous high school essay