Why would Random House ask for its own books???

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Dec 10 21:08:54 EST 2006

Scott,

This was the period when RH was converting the Modern Library from letterpress (relief) printing plates to offset lithograhy. They took clean copies of backlist titles, photographed the pages, and made offset plates from the negatives. They wanted to photograph copies of first or very early printings since later printings tended to show wear and batter to the plates. It was shortly before this period that offset lithographic printing had become cheaper than letterpress printing. Today nearly all printing is photolithographic; "hot" metal type isn't involved at any stage. I discussed this in my column in ML Collector 44.

Thanks for finding this ad! I hadn't seen it before. Somewhere I have a list of titles that RH hadn't been able to convert to offset lithography ... when I get time I'll compare it to this list.

Barry