Did ML ever sell for 55 cents?

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Dec 6 21:27:36 EST 2006

The ML never had a list price of 55 cents. Stores like Macy's sometimes offered ML books as loss leaders, but I'm not sure this happened in the Boni and Liveright period.

The retail price in 1917 was 60 cents. This rose to 70 cents in fall 1918, 85 cents in fall 1919, and 95 cents in May 1920. The 95-cent price remained in effect until November 1946. Rapid inflation followed the end of the Second World War. The price of regular ML books increased to $1.10 in November 1946 and to $1.25 on April 15, 1947. Booksellers were supplied with gummed price-change stickers for the jacket flaps since most ML books in stores still bore the old price of $1.10 or even 95 cents.

Barry