the decline of the modern library

Mike Mayer mwmayer at tds.net
Mon Aug 28 17:10:10 EDT 2006

Anthony,

I would expect that buyers have always attempted to purchase books at the
lowest price they can find, and sellers have always attempted to sell books
at the highest price they can get. Over time the price that buyers and
sellers agree on may change. Certain categories of collectibles seem to go in
and out of fashion over time (apparently baseball cards are worth much less
than they were several years ago). But buyers waiting for or negotiating for
a lower price is also a free-market function. If buyers now realize that it
is easier to get a certain title than it was pre-eBay, they may decide that
it is not worth as much as it was before. If you had to snap up the one copy
you finally found in a bookstore somewhere before eBay you may have been
willing to pay a higher price than you do now that you can find multiple
copies every time you search eBay or ABE.

Mike Mayer
mwmayer at tds.net