the decline of the modern library

acpertusi acpertusi at aol.com
Mon Aug 28 13:13:03 EDT 2006

I finally figured out that it is the collectors themselves
that are dragging down the ml prices!
don't blame it on ebay, which is a free market function,
that arrives at a price bidders thing a book is worth.
I have heard collectors state, on numerous occasions,
that no matter what the book or condition they won't pay
more than $6 or $7 for it. I am not sure if this is what they
feel any book is worth, or if it is all they can afford to pay.
I spent $200.00 for the first edition of gatsby and I  sold
it on ebay for almost $1200.00. the price it sold at was
impressive, but so was the participation.
rigth now there are great buys on amenities at great
prices. why is nobody buying? because they are not all priced at $ 6.00?
a collector recently said that he wished all the  "big
spenders" "inflating" the prices on ebay would go away.
Then he would be able to go back to buying ml's at
$2.00 each. another word for ebay is free market buying
and selling and for collectors it should be know as
competition. live with it or get out.
anthony pertusi