QUESTION ABOUT TEMINOLOGY

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Thu Aug 17 22:24:25 EDT 2006

And First Thus ain't a First Edition anyway.

-Michael Watson

At 10:08 PM 8/17/2006, you wrote:

>"NAP" stands for "no additional printings," and is used in (for one
>example) McBride's pocket guide to publisher's practices in denoting
>first editions. It has a pretty narrow application in this regard,
>so lends itself to rampant misuse. It can also be used to describe a
>short sleeping period, one of which I'm going to treat myself to right now ...
>
>All best,
>Bob Riedel
>
>In a message dated 8/17/2006 9:43:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>jwol at fast.net writes:
>

>>I asked a dealer on eBay what criteria they used to determine the book they
>>are offering is a First Edition.  It is an illustrated Pickwick Papers in
>>slipcase.  They referred me to a book on ABE which used this terminology:
>>
>>First edition thus (NAP)
>>
>>Can anyone explain what the NAP is?  And just what they mean?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>John Wolansky

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569
http://www.20ants.com
   books, individually and in lots. Specializing in fine press and non-fiction.
   Member of Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)
http://www.ioba.org
   Offering a safe bookbuying experience at
http://www.iobabooks.com/browse_books.php?id=47132