Time Of Man

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Aug 15 08:08:35 EDT 2006

The printing of new jackets for sales of remaindered ML titles seems to have been limited to 1939.  I've seen three examples: The Great Gatsby, Roberts's Time of Man, and Hearn's Some Chinese Ghosts.  These jackets are usually stamped REMAINDERED TITLE (I've seen a few 1939 jackets for Some Chinese Ghosts without this, and hope to hear if the Time of Man jacket in question here is stamped or not).

Why the ML did this is a mystery.  My guess is that an unscrupulous book dealer was ordering remaineded titles and selling them at full price -- I can't think of any other reason for the ugly REMAINDERED TITLE stamp.  But if this was the case, why not stamp the original jackets?  And if the reason was to freshen copies sold as remainders, why deface them with the stamp?