Fwd: the slow creep towards a micro economy on the web

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Mon Aug 7 13:14:59 EDT 2006

Now, here is a fantastic idea!

Begin forwarded message:

> From: kevin <kevin.foxe at corp.manyone.net>
> Date: August 7, 2006 9:35:15 AM PDT
> To: 'M1-TALK' <m1-talk at corp.manyone.net>
> Subject: the slow creep towards a micro economy on the web
>
> notice the point system...
> BookMooch: give away your old books, get others' BookMooch is a new
> book-swapping service from John Buckman, who created Magnatunes, a
> great Creative Commons music label. With BookMooch, it's easy to
> give away your old books to people who want to read them, and to
> get other peoples' books when they're done with them:

>  # Give & receive: Every time you give someoNe a book, you earn a
> point and can get any book you want from anyone else at BookMooch.
> Once you've read a book, you can keep it forever or put it back
> into BookMooch for someone else, as you wish.
> # No cost: there is no cost to join or use this web site: your only
> cost is mailing your books to others.
>
> # Points for entering books: you receive a tenth-of-a-point for
> every book you type into our system, and one point each time you
> give a book away. In order to keep receiving books, you need to
> give away at least one book for every two you receive.
>
> # Help charities: you can also give your points to charities we
> work with, such as children's hospitals (so a sick kid can get a
> free book delivered to their bed), Library fund, African literacy,
> or to us to thank us for running this web site .
http://bookmooch.com/

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens
can change the world.    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
   -- Margaret Mead

Scot Kamins

Modern Library Collectors website:
http://www.ModernLib.com