I bought a book that stinks

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Sat Aug 5 11:06:51 EDT 2006

Highly recommended...

http://www.ioba.org/newsletter/V13/a2.php

-Michael Watson

At 09:44 PM 8/1/2006, you wrote:

>Hello, all.
>
>I bought a book that stinks.  Not the author, the book itself.  I
>mean the paper, the binding, the DJ, whatever.
>
>As soon as I opened the package, the odor came phooshing out.
>
>I haven't yet given my eBay feedback and am unsure what to
>do.  Other than the smell, the book is essentially in the condition
>advertised, which is reasonably good with some rather significant
>heavily-read wear-and-tear with DJ, and it arrived reasonably promptly.
>
>The smell is moldy and musty.  The odor is beginning to permeate
>that whole area of the room.  Can anything be done? I have set the
>book in front of my air conditioner hoping that will somehow
>help.  I have the feeling every book in this guy's place smells the
>same way.  Maybe this is something that should be communicated
>privately apart from the feedback?  It's kind of like "Take a bath!"
>I've never seen an eBay seller state "smells good too" about a book,
>but maybe they should.
>
>I am already getting the creepy feeling of invisible slime coming on
>to my hands when I sit down to read this book, which I intend to do
>(or at least I did).  Should I just toss this thing or return it
>with a note explaining why?
>
>I appreciate your suggestions.  Enjoy your collections and your
>reading.  I still do, notwithstanding interesting experiences such
>as this.    Gordon

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569
http://www.20ants.com
   books, individually and in lots. Specializing in fine press and non-fiction.
   Member of Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)
http://www.ioba.org
   Offering a safe bookbuying experience at
http://www.iobabooks.com/browse_books.php?id=47132