The First New Yorker

Toby G Levy tobylevy at juno.com
Wed Apr 5 14:47:50 EDT 2006

I just recieved the complete New Yorker on DVDs as a birthday present,
and in browsing through the very first issue from Feb 21, 1925, I found
that page 25 is a full page advertisement from Boni & Liveright,
including a two inch plug for the latest Modern Library book: The Child
of Pleasure.

Page 31 had a full page ad for a company named Haldeman-Julius that
offered books for five cents each!  There were hundreds of them listed,
each with a number assigned and the direction "Order by Number." The
catch was you had to order at least 20 of them at a time. Shipping was
calculated at ten percent of the monetary total.  What a deal!