Classification Project: First Pass at Areas

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Sep 27 17:02:17 EDT 2005

[NOTE TO RECIPIENTS OF MULTIPLE COPIES OF THIS E-MAIL: This will be
the final e-mail on this topic sent to Dogeared members outside of
the ListServ. If you are a Dogeared member who chooses NOT to join
the ListServe but you still want to be included in this topic
discussion, please let me know and I'll see that you get future
mailings.]

Folks,

here's my first pass at area titles. These are the titles I use to
classify my own collection. Note that I use separate classifications
for Short Stories and Novels:

Anthropology
Art
Biology
Drama
Economics
Essays
History (World, Greek, Roman, American)
Humor [as such]
Literary Criticism
Music
Novels
Philosophy
Poetry
Politics
Psychology
Short Stories
Sociology
Spirituality (Religion, Mythology, Spirituality)

"Essays" is a problematic area. But to overcome the problem,  as well
as the problem of anthologies,  certain titles may find their way
into multiple classifications. Indeed there's no reason that a given
title may find itself appearing all over the place, if that's what's
appropriate.

  Humor will include titles such as "Encyclopedia of Humor" but would
NOT (at first) include Zuleika Dobson and Pickwick Papers, both of
which would appear under Novels. And Maltese Falcon would appear
under Novels, but there would not be a Mysteries section. If folks
wanted to break down titles further, I'd need lots of help
determining what went where -- but I'm willing to consider all ideas
here.