Banned Books Week 2005 is September 24October 1

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Thu Sep 22 12:30:01 EDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 9:10 AM, Clare Imholtz wrote:

> Even Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was banned -- in
> China in the 1930's. Talking animals were disapproved
> of!

Now, THAT is REALLY interesting!

I knew that nearly all philosophers (and most French writers) were on
the Catholic Church's index (Index librorum prohibitorum). When I was
in high school -- Boston College High in Dorchester Ma, a Jesuit prep
school -- I and my buddies would make it a point to walk around
campus with an indexed book prominently displayed. We spent a lot of
time in detention. I proudly thought of myself as a political prisoner.