First ML catalog to mention paperbacks

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Sep 21 13:19:59 EDT 2005

Hi folks,

I call your attention to a couple of additions to the catalog page:

http://www.dogeared.com/General/brochures.html

First is the 1940 catalog (thanks to Sharon Biederman)  which
interestingly lists a number of balloon cloth books that were still
available even though those titles never made it to the Blumenthal
hardcover bindings of the period.

The second is the 1960 catalog (thanks to Ron Holl), which I believe
was the first to refer to the Modern Library paperback series on the
cover. This is particularly interesting because 1960 is also the year
that Random House merged the series with the Vintage paperback line
and stopped publishing them under the Modern Library colophon;
Vintage was owned by Alfred A. Knopf  Inc. which Random House  had
recently acquired. Thus if I'm correct in this, the first year that
the paperbacks were advertised on a Modern Library brochure cover was
also the last year that the series was in the Modern Library line. If
anyone knows that the line was advertised in any of the brochures
between 1955 and 1959 please let me know.