"Contributing Editor" membership class added to Dogeared

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun Sep 18 14:40:36 EDT 2005

Folks,

Last week I mentioned my intention to add a new way to join Dogeared
without having to pay a fee. I thought that this was necessary for a
couple of reasons:

1) Some folks really can't spare even the most basic Dogeared
membership fee of $15.

Although no-one has ever been refused a Dogeared membership because
of inability to pay, some folks don't want "something for nothing"
and want to make a contribution of some kind.

2) Some folks object to any fee-based anything on the Internet,
believing that "information wants to be free."

While that may be true, information doesn't get onto the Internet by
magic - it takes a lot of work! This new way of getting a Dogeared
membership addresses both issues.

I've devised a scheme whereby folks accumulate unit credits for
different kinds of contributions, ranging from sending in new dust
jacket images (4 units) to suggesting articles (5 units) or writing
them (ten units) to typing up ToCs (1 unit) to suggesting new
projects (ten units). There are even credits for participating in
this ListServ (1 unit per thread)!  Ten units gets a year on
Dogeared. Check it out:

http://babyurl.com/EHxPCR

Your comments are solicited.

Thanks,