Color variations in paperback?

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Sep 14 15:02:21 EDT 2005

Folks,

I think I brought up this issue about color variations in paperbacks
in the past without getting much response, but it has just come up
again.

Ron Holl spotted this on eBay:

http://babyurl.com/ZU8xda

Notice the green price background and descriptive text.

The one on Dogeared has a red price background and descriptive text:

http://babyurl.com/5vd1Ky

While I think that this one is simply sunned, I've seen others where
the color differences are consistent on all surfaces (front, spine,
back) making fading the unlikely culprit. But in all cases, the
variations seem to be red and green. I'm beginning to think that
these sorts of color variations are actually color errors where
insufficient (if any) red pigment was added to the ink mix.

Comments?