Image sizes in Dogeared (was: Re: Flex Plato Variant DJ)

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun Sep 11 15:40:11 EDT 2005

On Sep 11, 2005, at 12:13 PM, GORDON NEAVILL wrote:

> Scott, my spring 1939 jacket is in excellent condition and
> wouldn't require much if any touchup ... let me know if you'd
> like me to scan it for Dogeared.

Thanks much, Barry. Please check out my reconstruction of the dj:

http://www.dogeared.com/authors/pAuthors/platoJackets.html

If yours is clearer, please send it!!!!

> Finally, I've often wished that the jacket database in
> Dogeared used slightly larger images for jackets from books
> with Blumenthal and later bindings.  This would make it easier
> to distinguish jackets used on balloon cloth and Blumenthal
> bindings.  Also, there were several pictorial jackets that
> were used on later ballon cloth printings as well as
> Blumenthal bindings.  If these were reproduced in smaller and
> larger formats it would make it easier for collectors to know
> they should be looking for both.  It would be tedious and time
> consuming to reduce or enlarge several hundred images at this
> point, but it might be worth it.

Yes, I agree. If I were starting the project today, that's just how
I'd do it.

  Back when I started the project, storage space/bandwidth on the
internet was quite expensive (far more than it is now) so I decided
against full-sized images. If I were starting again, I'd go full-
size. Thus images would be clearer, all text would be visible, one
could distinguish flexis from Blumnethals from late 60's from giants...

I think that trying to re-assemble a couple thousand images might be
a problem at this point. I don't have the originals, and blowing up
the images to full-size (now standardized at 3/5" tall at 72 DPI)
would make them look terrible. And while among all the ListServ &
Dogeared members most of the images might be available, getting
people to scan them properly and send them in is problematic: Most
people don't like to contribute editorial material for some reason
(time, interest, equipment, whatever).

As to why I didn't use proportional 1/2-size images originally -- I
don't know!  Just a bad decision on my part, I certainly admit. It
wouldn't have taken any more space to do it that way, and it
certainly would have been better. I regret it now.