Flex Plato Variant DJ

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Sep 11 15:13:06 EDT 2005

Congratulations to John Krygier on his sharp eyes ... I have
both variants of the jacket, and I hadn't noticed the
different wording on the latter!  I've updated my bibliography
accordingly.  Thanks also to John Wolansky ... the earliest
revised jacket I'd seen on spine 8 was from fall 1942.  I've
also updated the bibliography to reflect the spring 1940
jacket he reports.  I doubt very much that there's a jacket
between spring 1939 and spring 1940.

Scott, my spring 1939 jacket is in excellent condition and
wouldn't require much if any touchup ... let me know if you'd
like me to scan it for Dogeared.

Finally, I've often wished that the jacket database in
Dogeared used slightly larger images for jackets from books
with Blumenthal and later bindings.  This would make it easier
to distinguish jackets used on balloon cloth and Blumenthal
bindings.  Also, there were several pictorial jackets that
were used on later ballon cloth printings as well as
Blumenthal bindings.  If these were reproduced in smaller and
larger formats it would make it easier for collectors to know
they should be looking for both.  It would be tedious and time
consuming to reduce or enlarge several hundred images at this
point, but it might be worth it.

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor