REDUX: On when a Guardian's name appears

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Oct 26 19:10:29 EDT 2005

On Oct 26, 2005, at 10:31 AM, Bill DiBenedetto wrote:

> The old journalist and editor in me says: You get the byline when
> the story
> is published.

Then I agreed and said that's the way we'll do it.

But then I remembered what that great unadopted ML poet John Milton
said: "They also serve who only stand and wait."

One of the most important services of the Guardian is link-checking:
making sure that links are alive and confirming that they go to
engaging and accurate information. The act of checking is, as far as
I'm concerned, a form of "publishing the story."

Thus when a prospective Guardian confirms that s/he has checked links
on a page even if it's just to confirm that the links are live, it
seems to me that that person should be awarded Guardianship {Why does
that sound pretentious?}; this should be the case even if no new
links are suggested.

Yes?

       `\|||/                     Scot Kamins
        (@@)