"Adopt An Author" Program

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Oct 26 13:19:13 EDT 2005

On Oct 25, 2005, at 6:28 PM, Joel Setzekorn wrote:

> sounds like shades of fahrenheit 451 (the book people).

[ :: memorizing: "Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how
long precisely - having little or no money in my purse... :: ]

> actually, if you divide the 435 authors by the number of potential
> 'author adoptors', it should become 'adopt a bunch of authors'.
> here is the bunch i'd support, only because i know them best and
> have an admiration for them...

Well, this brings up an interesting issue. You and Toby Levy have
both volunteered for multiple authors. Toby's two is quite doable, of
course. And I certainly wouldn't stand in the way of folks doing more
than that if they have the time and interest! The idea is to have fun
doing it, of course.

In thinking about what's involved, the initial work will take the
most time. After that, the only thing to do is to make sure that
links stay active. I would think that checking all links once a month
would do nicely. Folks who adopt multiple authors could break up the
work, doing some one evening and other on another evening.

As to deadlines, there are none. You do the research in your own
time. The only issue would be that, once you make a commitment to
adopting an author, you're making that commitment to the Dogeared ML
community so it's important to fulfill on it in a timely manner.

So this raises the question: When should a Guardian's name be affixed
to a page? Should it be when the Guardian first makes the commitment,
or when s/he begins to fulfill on it (say, with the first sending to
me of an item for the page)?

By the way, I did a quick sticking-in of how the credit line might
look on a page:

http://www.dogeared.com/authors/dAuthors/dickensJackets.html

(Scroll to the bottom)

Clicking the link brings you to a page (currently in mock-up) that
describes in detail the duties of a guardian.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens
can change the world.    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
   -- Margaret Mead