Interesting Publication

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Thu Oct 6 10:50:59 EDT 2005

The ever-contentious hemispheres of my brain were mixing the ideas of
academic publishing and textbook publishing.

Purely-academic publishing always struggles and generally must be
heavily-subsidized to even exist.

Textbook publishing, on the other hand, is a high-profit racket, and
I say this from viewing it firsthand from the inside. And to John K.,
$4-5 bucks/book is mighty good for any kind of publishing. Your
return-on-effort depends on the adoption of your book as a text (not
likely when it's a purely-academic work) and your contract. In the
medical or legal fields, with a contract that gives you a percentage,
you can make a good living at it with a single book that's revised
every other year.

-Michael Watson

At 10:41 PM 10/5/2005, you wrote:

>On Oct 5, 2005, at 8:34 PM, 20 Ants wrote:
>
>>Academic publishing is certainly wacky compared to commercial
>>publishing. As you can see they take a bare bones approach that
>>pushes the profit margin up.
>
>I think it's hilarious that you guys are using "profit" and "academic
>publishing" in the same paragraph - especially when you're talking
>about the share that goes to the author!
>

>- Scot kamins
>"What if this weren't a hypothetical question?"

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569
http://www.20ants.com

   books, individually and in lots,  specialties are non-fiction & literature
   Member: Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)