Interesting Publication

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Wed Oct 5 23:34:12 EDT 2005

Academic publishing is certainly wacky compared to commercial
publishing. As you can see they take a bare bones approach that
pushes the profit margin up.

-Michael Watson

At 06:25 AM 10/5/2005, you wrote:

>On Oct 5, 2005, at 12:08 AM, 20 Ants wrote:
>
>>And not just the personal effort of the author... each book has
>>several other editors and technicians who alternately nurse,
>>nurture, or beat the book into existence.
>
>Absolutely!  But the academic publishing world tends to shift all
>these tasks to the author and his/her resources and colleagues.
>
>My official editor had minimal input on the book.  Three academic
>reviewers (paid $100 each!) helped with their comments on the
>manuscript, and my university paid for travel and copyright costs
>associated with the book.  I did all the book design, page layouts,
>and graphics production myself.
>
>Indeed, my co-author is a colleague who served as my "real" editor,
>and I "paid" him by adding him as a co-author (thus he gets a cut of
>the profits).
>
>Whatever it takes!
>

>john k.

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569
http://www.20ants.com

   books, individually and in lots,  specialties are non-fiction & literature
   Member: Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)