Interesting Publication

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Wed Oct 5 07:25:41 EDT 2005

On Oct 5, 2005, at 12:08 AM, 20 Ants wrote:

> And not just the personal effort of the author... each book has
> several other editors and technicians who alternately nurse, nurture,
> or beat the book into existence.

Absolutely!  But the academic publishing world tends to shift all
these tasks to the author and his/her resources and colleagues.

My official editor had minimal input on the book.  Three academic
reviewers (paid $100 each!) helped with their comments on the
manuscript, and my university paid for travel and copyright costs
associated with the book.  I did all the book design, page layouts,
and graphics production myself.

Indeed, my co-author is a colleague who served as my "real" editor,
and I "paid" him by adding him as a co-author (thus he gets a cut of
the profits).

Whatever it takes!

john k.