Cat Project

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Mon Oct 3 15:58:07 EDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 12:34 PM, Clare Imholtz wrote:

> It's hard to imagine a humor category not including
> Wodehouse.  Some other candidates, then, I guess,
> would be Perelman, Ring Lardner, Dorothy Parker,
> Waugh's The Loved One.

Well, the category was set up (in my mind, at least) to deal with
those titles are self-identified as humor. But I'm willing to expand
the category -- so consider it done.

I would STRONGLY request that folks submit more suggestions for this
topic (and for all the specialized topics, actually).

If this idea of increased sub-topics holds strong interest and other
categories are added, I may restructure the topics into multiple
pages to make using it easier. The main page would hold the summary
basic topics (all novels, all short stories, all drama, all poetry,
all history) with links to appropriate sub-topic pages.

> I still like the idea of categorizing national
> literatures...we could cut these same categories by time period
> as well:  20th Century novels, 20th Century poetry,
> 19th century.... etc etc.

Good grief!  :-D  Luckily I'm between contracts at the moment.

> How about separating Biography and
> Autobiography/Memoirs?

A bit too atomistic I fear -- the categories might have too few books
to be useful.

> Should Camus's notebooks go in philosophy as well?

Yeah. Thanks.

> The
> Second Sex also?  (It's been so long since I read
> these.)

I don't think so - but it should also go into Essays/Personal
Reflections/Reportage.