Cat Project: Incomplete First Pass is Up

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sat Oct 1 20:52:04 EDT 2005

On Oct 1, 2005, at 5:09 PM, readingstore at thebookscene.com wrote about
the Military/War category:

> More candidates:
>
> Leatherstocking Saga Cooper
> Hiroshima Hersey
> French Revolution Carlyle [G]
> Napoleon Ludwig
> Conquest of Mexico and Conquest of Peru Prescott
> Ten Days That Shook the World Reed
> Red Badge of Courage Crane
> Three Soldiers Dos Passos
> African Queen Forester
> Farewell To Arms Heminway
> Naked and the Dead Mailer
> Catch-22 Heller
\
Lessee - I guess it depends on how we define the category. All of the
ones in the original list deal with war as war (with the possible
exception of a few parts of the Iliad). Your list deals with war as a
central theme among other themes (Reed, Carlyle, Ludwig), horrors of
war and its aftermath (Hersey, Heller), war as means to an end (Reed,
Carlyle, Prescott), war as crucible (Crane, Mailer). Looks to me like
these all qualify!

  I don't know about Forester's African Queen, not having read it.

I don't understand why you'd include Cooper though. Help me out
here. :-D

Comments from others?