Alphabetization under "de" and other prefixes

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Oct 1 15:49:53 EDT 2005

As a professor of library cataloging (among other things) I
can offer the following information:

American libraries enter English and American names containing
prefixes (de, du, van, von, etc.) under the prefix: De
Quincey, Du Maurier, etc.  This is easy and straightforward.

The entry element for Dutch, French, German, Italian, etc.
names varies according to nationality and whether the prefix
is a preposition (de, von) or an article (Le, La) or a
contraction of an article and a prefix (Du, Des).  This
confuses the hell out of my students.

If a person changes nationality, the rules of entry change
too; for example, Braun, Werner von (German) becomes Von
Braun, Werner (American).

Barry