Odd #7 Binding?

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Sat Nov 26 19:23:57 EST 2005

On Nov 26, 2005, at 12:43 PM, GORDON NEAVILL wrote:

> A number of ML titles published before the adoption of the
> Blumenthal format were slightly larger than the standard
> format so that they could be printed from the original
> publisher's plates.  The Kent endpapers in these volumes have
> a white border where the volumes exceed the standard format.

A few "larger" sized MLs (pre-Blumenthal, ca. 1939) in my collection:

Edmonds' "Rome Haul" (1st, binding #7)
Glasgow's "Barren Ground" (1st, binding #7)
Lawrence's "The Rainbow" (1st, binding #4; the Bernhard end-
	papers could more easily accommodate a slightly
	larger book than the Kent endpapers.)
Lewis' "Arrowsmith" (binding #7)
Spinoza's "Philosophy" (binding #7)

Are there others besides "Portrait of a Lady"?

The only binding #8 or later (until binding #14) I have ever
seen in a slightly larger size is "Lost Weekend."

I have never seen a slightly larger binding #1 through #6,
besides the Lawrence.

John K.