Odd #7 Binding?

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Nov 26 12:43:42 EST 2005

A number of ML titles published before the adoption of the
Blumenthal format were slightly larger than the standard
format so that they could be printed from the original
publisher's plates.  The Kent endpapers in these volumes have
a white border where the volumes exceed the standard format.

The Portrait of the Lady was originally published in two
volumes by Houghton Mifflin in 1881.  The ML printed from
Houghton Mifflin plates, which saved significant typesetting
costs.  This accounts both for the slightly taller format and
the double sequence of pagination (427, 437 pp.)  Taller than
normal formats were less common after 1940 but were still used
occasionally.  One example is Charles Jackson's The Lost
Weekend (1948).

Barry