What accounts for this common bookseller mistake?

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun Nov 20 00:35:19 EST 2005

MLers (and especially book dealers),

One of the most common mistakes I see sellers make is typified in the
following statement:

"Published by The Modern Library, there is no copyright nor print
date. It appears to be a first edition.”

Was it common in the early and mid 20th century for most first
editions (not of ML's of course) to have no date and no copyright? If
not, can anybody tell me the source of this common error?

"Will the highways to the Internet become more few?"  -- G.W. Bush