Lust for Life

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Nov 8 17:25:27 EST 2005

Two of the spring 1939 titles -- Liddell Hart, The War in
Outline and Walton, Compleat Angler -- were published in the
normal balloon cloth format.  The other two spring 1939 titles
-- Lust for Life and Seven Gothic Tales -- were published in
the larger format so that the ML could print from the original
publisher's plates.  Both of these have plain endpapers, since
the Kent endpaper was designed for the smaller 6-1/2 by 4-1/4
inch format.

One of the reasons the ML switched to the larger format in
fall 1939 was that Lewis Miller, the RH sales manager and
others liked the appearance of appearance of Lust for Life and
Seven Gothic Tales so well.

I hadn't seen a first printing of Lust for Life in the
Blumenthal binding, which was introduced in fall 1939.  The ML
must not have bound up the entire first printing in the
balloon cloth binding.  I'd be interested to know if it had
plain endpapers or the larger Kent endpaper, which began to be
used in spring 1940; fall 1939 titles had plain endpapers.

Barry