Lust for Life

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Nov 8 17:16:59 EST 2005

Here's a note on the topic from Dogeared's Stone page:

Notes on Stone's Lust for Life:

The first edition of Stone's Lust for Life is in the general style of
the flexible balloon cloth (#7) binding, but in the larger size of
the later hardcover Blumenthal (#8) binding. The endpapers are blank,
even though "Endpapers designed by Rockwell Kent" is noted on the
reverse of the title page.

There's at least one report of this title with the correct first
edition jacket in both the oversized flex format and the hard cover
Blumenthal format.

On Nov 8, 2005, at 1:25 PM, J B Krygier wrote:

> No, not the song by Iggy Pop but Irving Stone's book about van Gogh
> in the ML.
>
> I recently found a 1939 1st ML ed.  It is, like the first of Dinesen's
> "Seven Gothic Tales," bound in balloon cloth but at the larger size
> of the HC format that was first available in 1939.  I put a picture
> at Ron's ML collector site (on my collector page, http://
> www.mlcollect.com/).
>
> Question: I recall a comment somewhere that a HC version of the
> 1939 FMLEd
> of "Lust for Life" does exist, I guess indicating that some of the
> FMLEds
> were bound in HC.  I passed this info along to Ron (and it is in
> one of the
> trivia questions) but I am not sure it is actually true.
>
> Help?!
>

> John K.

Scot Kamins

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing." -- Edmund Burke