modern library finds in chicago?

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Tue Nov 1 20:35:45 EST 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Jgbrister at aol.com wrote:

>  I'm going to Chicago this weekend for a conference and wanted to know
> if anyone has any favorite (or favorable) downtown-area bookstore
> haunts.

I was there a few years back and the downtown stores were
all gone!  What I did was take a cab from downtown to
Clark and Belmont (north of downtown; maybe $10 fare) to
a handful of stores.  This is a cool area with lots of
other interesting stores.  Several of the bookstores had
decent MLs.  The stores I recall in this area were

Selected Works: 3510 North Broadway (I recall it being tidy)
Bookleggers: 2935 North Broadway
Bookman's Corner: 2959 North Clark
Bookworks: 3444 North Clark

The alternative is to head south to the big old Powells near
the Univ. of Chicago.  i do recall them having some MLs, and
a large section of  more scholarly books.  across the street
and down a bit is O'Gara and Wilson, a smaller but nice store
with older stock.  think i even saw a few flex w/DJ there.

do check that these places are still at these addresses, or
still open.

john k.