Ethics and eBay Book Buying

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun May 29 18:18:38 EDT 2005

On May 29, 2005, at 2:31 PM, J B Krygier wrote:

> If there is an ethical problem with not letting a seller know they
> have vastly underpriced a book, then many book sellers and buyers
> (those on limited budgets, or those who enjoy getting a bargain as
> much as the book itself) are in trouble.

Not to take sides but to further the discussion: Isn't there a
difference between what we expect of a book dealer (and his presumed
expertise) and the typical eBay seller-of-stuff-in-the-attic?

We all agree that knowledge is power - especially in the field of
collecting. If an alleged expert (that is, someone holding himself
out to be a professional bookseller) offers a great rarity at a dumb
price, isn't the fault his? But if Gramma Shoebox offers in her
ignorance a great rarity for a pittance, doesn't a different standard
come into play? While we can take advantage of the former with few
ethical qualms (he should know better!), aren't we stealing from the
latter (how can she be expected to know?)?

And how thought that last phrase be punctuated?

- Scot Kamins