Ethics and eBay Book Buying

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun May 29 14:21:29 EDT 2005

On May 29, 2005, at 10:33 AM, rchrist5 at rochester.rr.com wrote:

> Interesting ethical dilemma. What I might do is contact the seller,
> let "hir" know that the book in question is not quite so valuable
> as it is described. If the seller doesn't respond  either to me or
> with a quick addendum to the auction, then, I would have no
> compunction about telling the buyer.

I love the ethics of this, of course. But Robert Sanger's excellent
comments have me worried.  I don't care if I'm tossed from eBay, but
the thought of litigation scares the heck out of me. (I never claimed
to be courageous.)

> Even contacting the buyer AFTER the sale is acceptable, I think. If
> the seller is honest and reasonable, then "s/he" would certainly
> offer a refund. And hopefully an apology.

Well, here you're probably on safe grounds legally. The auction is
over, so there's no interference to worry about.

> Here's a question, though, with regard to your above story––but
> with a twist: A seller is selling a Don Quixote illustrated (in
> perfect condition) with a $15 BUY IT NOW. ...what do you do as a
> knowledgeable ML collector/buyer/seller. Do you let them know it is
> worth considerably more? Do you offer the same "conscience" to a
> seller––who, most on eBay are not professionals...Just a thought.

Cavat emptor - caveat sellor?

- Scot Kamins