New "Dealing with eBay" FAQs are up

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Sun May 29 13:23:36 EDT 2005

Scot and John,

    I think the problem lies with trying to make one rule that fits all
collectors and all cases.  First, the FAQ will be primarily of interest
to new collectors.  John may find a few tidbits of information that are
useful, but as a longtime collector, he has already made hundreds of
purchases on ebay and knows how to find a bargain.

    Second, even experienced collectors define acceptable purchases
differently.  Aside from the ubiquitous designation of "first edition" by
ignorant sellers, it seems to be that most ebay disputes will
involve condition. As a collector, Scot, you sought out copies that were
Very Good or better.  The chances, therefore, of being disappointed on
ebay were relatively high.  Only a minority of ebay sellers carefully
describe the flaws in their MLs.  Some provide pictures that are designed
to conceal defects. On the other hand, there are many collectors that are
much more concerned with scarcity than condition and tend to overlook
flaws.

    So, if a copy of Men in War, for instance, turns up on ebay in
a dust jacket, two collectors might both choose to bid $100 on the basis
of seeing only the front of the DJ with no additional information from
the seller. Upon receiving the book one might be outraged that the rear
endflap is missing while the other thinks he got a steal.  Beyond telling
buyers to get as much information as possible, there are really very few
absolutes.  Assuming the amount of money involved is not substantial
(which is the case with most MLs), trial and error can actually work out
in the buyer's favor.  However, for condition-conscious collectors, ebay
is a place to tread gingerly and they may wish to purchase from
established booksellers.

                             Sharon