New "Dealing with eBay" FAQs are up

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Sun May 29 09:05:55 EDT 2005

On May 28, 2005, at 11:14 AM, Scot Kamins wrote:

> I've added seven new FAQs, all dealing with eBay.  tossed out three
> potential additions as redundant.) Please check 'em out and send your
> suggestions for additions or changes.

Re: "If I see an error in an eBay Modern Library book listing,
should I notify the seller?"

That section is fine, but it is important to note that
you should NEVER contact a bidder regarding a potentially
misleading auction they (he? she? heshe? shehe?) are bidding
on - auction interference on eBay may get your account
suspended.

I do find the overall tone of the FAQ somewhat curious -
not really taking into account that eBay is a global,
chaotic yard sale - and that is OK!

These are not professional book dealers for the most part,
and any auction you win might end up being a disappointment,
and if it does, it is probably not because the seller is a
fraud and evil.

After 600-ish transactions on eBay my estimation is that
about a dozen have been a disappointment - usually because
of unstated condition problems (ex-library, water damaged,
etc.).  On the other hand, I have acquired hundreds of titles
for well below what they should have sold for - primarily
because of the lack of knowledge of the sellers and poor
descriptions.

I fully support the tone of the eBay FAQ - as long as many
of you are fearful of bidding on poorly described or no-
photo auctions, I can keep getting great titles in nice
condition for a few bucks!

jk