New "Dealing with eBay" FAQs are up

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat May 28 22:24:35 EDT 2005

I agree that, in nearly all cases, making the noun plural is
the best solution.  But if you want to be theoretical and
abstract, the generic pronoun "he" -- inherently abstract when
it refers male and female -- is ideal.  Recasting the sentence
into the plural makes it more concete, as does the use of "he
and she."  In most writing it's better to be concrete, but
sometimes in academic writing expressing a proposition in
abstract terms is appropriate.  Yet I don't know of any
academic journal that would allow me to use the generic "he"
regardless of the level of abstraction in which I may wish to
express myself.

Barry