Question on Firsts/Dating Key

modlib at alltel.net modlib at alltel.net
Tue May 24 10:32:40 EDT 2005

Hi Scot,

1) The problem is that 347.1 could have had a second printing in, say, 1967.  That copy would also have no DJ# and #11 binding.  So, the table entry would not help in that case.  At the very least, it also needs the date of the first printing.  But as we have seen, a second printing in the mid to late 60's could have the same book list.  Thus, only a binding or DJ style change would indicate a later printing.  Does 347.1 have a later printing that will distinguish it from the first (i.e. different binding)?  Henry's guide seems to indicate there is.

So, what I had was a No #DJ, binding #11, with a Fall 1964 list and no First Indicator.  The guide matches all those as a first, except I don't know if there is a book with a Spring 1964, or even Spring/Fall 1963 book list that is the true first printing.  The table on Dogeared is useful in alerting me that the first is not marked as such.

2)  When I said "link" I didn't mean hyperlink; I meant a logical link by virtue of indicating, for example, "Fall 1964 book list" in the table.  One would then need to go to the dating key.  Or perhaps the table would say that all printings had the same book list, and the only indicator is a binding change.  Or a DJ change (l to n, for example).

3) So, is 388.1 considered an unmarked first?  Or can it only be an unmarked first if there is a second printing?

thanks!
ron