Question on Firsts/Dating Key

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue May 24 02:02:47 EDT 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 7:12 PM, <modlib at alltel.net> <modlib at alltel.net>
wrote:

> Thanks for that info.  The two that I had indicated as ones that
> had later printings are there, but the table does not provide any
> more info than the guide.  With 311.1, it is obviously a first.
> But not so with 347.1; there is no DJ number.

That's an indicator of a first- the fact that there's no number.
here's the entry from my table:
347.1       Tolstoy    Selected Essays     [binding #]  11
[no #]

> Perhaps that table can have a link to the Dating Key for titles
> that do not have a DJ number.  For example, with 347.1 you need a
> Spring (or Fall) 1964 list in the back of the book.

You mean beyond the link to the dating key that's already there?

" For additional confirmation, if the book and/or dust jacket has the
catalog of current listings, use the table in Barry Neavill's Dating
Key."

(Dating Key is a hypertext link to Barry's article)

> Also, the other two don't say 'First', but they only had one
> printing (I think).  Even so, should they be in the table as an
> exception?  (i.e. first not mentioned, but all are FE?)

Well, the table is for unmarked firsts specifically. But perhaps
there needs to be Book Notes associated with the individual titles on
the Author pages...

> ron
>

>> From: Scot Kamins <kamins at dogeared.com>
>> Date: 2005/05/23 Mon PM 08:19:57 CDT
>> To: modlib at algol.owu.edu
>> Subject: Re: Question on Firsts/Dating Key
>>

>> On May 23, 2005, at 6:07 PM, <modlib at alltel.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I picked up a dozen mostly later edition titles recently and had
>>> some questions about the first edition marks and the printing dates.
>>>

>> Have you checked out 'Stalking the Unmarked First" in the Member's
>> Area of Dogeared?
>>
>> http://www.dogeared.com/Identifiers/hiddenFirsts.html
>>

>> Scot Kamins
>> Complementary Dogeared membership during May!
>> Logon name: guest at dogeared.com          Password: may
>> Join at:   http://www.dogeared.com/General/howToSubscribe.html

- Scot Kamins