Quick FAQ for eBay ML Sellers?

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Fri May 20 14:12:37 EDT 2005

Scot,

     FAQs are always useful, but the limitation of doing this one, or
making a list of ebay complaints, is that the likelihood of meaningful
change is minimal.  Most of the complaints will be about booksellers who
are either ignorant or willfully deceptive.  These people are simply not
going to read the FAQ.   This is true not only for MLs, but for most ebay
items.

     There are about 600 MLs on ebay at the moment. The overwhelming
majority are under $10 and only a tiny fraction of those will ever receive
a bid. Sellers who are not in the book business and do not value their
reputations will routinely try to inflate their items with false claims
of rarity or the ubiquitous designation of first edition on every book
they offer.  We can certainly point out the correct method of dating MLs,
but the casual dealer who finds he can get a $50 bid on a $5 book by
calling it a first edition will probably not correct the mistake.  I think
the focus of dogeared should be on educating the collector rather than the
seller, since for us the knowledge is critical.

                                   Sharon