Comments and Observations on New Feature

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Thu May 12 13:06:50 EDT 2005

On May 12, 2005, at 8:48 AM, HTatML at aol.com wrote:

> I think that scarcity on its own is not particulary helpful. ... I
> think that scarcity on its own is rather irrelevant. What matters is
> scarcity in relation to demand. That is what determines price. A thing
> can be extremely rare, like one of a kind of something. But if nobody
> wants it, scarcity hardly matters.

It depends on the goal. I find it extremely interesting to think that
certain books, although not particularly scarce, command very high
prices. The example of the Dante-illustrated Cervantes pops to mind.
While the Guide shows this book to be expensive because of its demand
(it being a cross-collectable in at least three communities - Dante,
ML, illustrateds), it doesn't show what I consider to be  its relative
commonality. My interest happens to be in the scarcity of pieces in my
collection rather than in their market value.

> What does it mean first of all. Scarcity of the title whatever the
> condition? Scarcity in dust jacket? Scarcity of the first? Scarcity in
> relation to size of printing? Scaricty in fine condition? Scarcity
> signed. etc

Yes, these are indeed sticky considerations - but I think they are
manageable. Since most collectors want books in dust jackets, I would
have a first-cut limit to books with DJs. Since it's the most common
case that better DJs are scarcer than worn ones, there's a second
limitation. I would think that absolute scarcity nearly always depends
on the printing. And so on.

Consideration would have to be given to exceptions, and I think that
there's where real value and interest lies and where the real
contribution would be - the surprises that emerge in the analysis of
collected data.