Potential new Dogeared feature: Scarcity ratings for ML titles

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed May 11 18:54:00 EDT 2005

> From: Cottonwood Books <cottonwoodbooks at yahoo.com>
>

>  It could really flush out some interesting info on certain titles.

That's what I was thinking. The discussion itself would generate
information, which could then be included in a Book Note (identified in
Dogeared at the moment by that little Information icon).

>   I found the rarity rankings (a scale of 1-7) one of the most
> interesting bits in the new Everyman's guide.

Does the author use criteria that we could employ? (I have a copy lying
about somewhere, but I don't know where.)

> An issue though is that associating them on the website with the DJ
> only doesn't allow for when djs were put on different bindings,
> especially if one is much harder to find than another.  So... an "R"
> number rating associated with each binding that jacket went on might
> do the trick.

Of course. The R label would be for correctly-matched books and DJs.

> This could descend into which *jackets* are hardest to find, such as
> an "R" rating for a 1st issue dj on a type 7, a regular type 7 binding
> numbered dj, a type 8 binding numbered dj, and the same jacket on a
> type 9, etc.  ...

"Descend" is the right word, all right — as into the 9th circle or
hell! Your thinking is quite correct, or course; where do we limit the
reckonings?

> ke the idea of a special "never seen before" rating, so we have a
> useful scale (R1-R5, or whatever) and then a "Unicorn" R6.

Perhaps it could be that we'd only list the top ranks  (R3-R5  + U for
Unicorn). The biggest issue is determining the basic  criteria  for
scarcity ranking.