Potential new Dogeared feature: Scarcity ratings for ML titles

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed May 11 15:32:26 EDT 2005

Folks,

I'm forever getting e-mails from folks asking about he scarcity of this
or that ML titles. The values in the Guide are of some help, but they
are out of date and don't reflect the more recent access to
availability that Internet auctions and buying venues provide.

So I'm thinking that it would be great to devise a rarity scale for
titles in DJs. Each DJ in the database would display the scarcity
level.

I suggest a simplified scale with five levels:  R1 would be the most
common (typified by Shaw's Four Plays) and R5 would be the most scarce
(for example, an unremaindered Gatsby). Perhaps there could be a
special category for ones never seen, such as a first catalog Dorian
Gray.

Of course, there would be many issues to be worked through; the
discussions would take place right here in this Listserv.

Whaddayathink? Would this be valuable? What are the issues to be
resolved? Are five categories enough? What would the criteria for
categories be? What else?

Complementary Dogeared membership during May
Logon name: guest at dogeared.com          Password: may
Join at:   http://www.dogeared.com/General/howToSubscribe.html