Can someone explain...

Bill DiBenedetto billdi at earthlink.net
Tue May 10 21:48:36 EDT 2005

well said -- for me every book is priceless in its own way, no matter its
rarity, condition or appearance on the shelf. some of my most treasured
volumes by favorite writers undoubtedly have little or no market value. but
i value them just as much as that rare first edition that might come my way.
every book has it own context in relation to its owner(s) and its own
history -- which might mean nothing to one person but everything to another.
When i look at a  ML edition signed by a former owner -- i don't think
(much) about how that signature might devalue the volume; i do think about
that person and wonder about them and their history with the book, whether
they  read it and why they parted with it. that's part of the fun of it all.

bill
206-491-0296 (wk)
206-963-0499 (personal)

-  Yeah, well!  I have a ratty old copy of The Sun Also Rises, with the
Central Pacific Base Command Library stamped on the edge of the lower pages.
Imagine having a book that one of our men in WW2 read while fighting for our
liberty.  The inside stamp is the
19th Infantry Regiment, 24th or 34th Infantry Division.  If it wasn't for
the historical aspect, kind of like Washington ate here, it would barely
qualify as a reading copy.  However, the pages are intact as is the spine
tho a bit loose, there is no dustjacket.  It is a type 8, which, since it
has Regiment markings, is early 40's.  I have refrained from selling this
book because of its historical quality, but it doesn't fit the parameters
for the quality of my ML library, so who knows someone who could use this
book for its esthetic value, and would pay for postage?  maybe your dad read
the book.  I got the greatest thrill walking across the church yard at St
Mere' Englis.