Boni & Liveright jackets

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun May 8 12:20:43 EDT 2005

I've identified 12 distinct Boni & Liveright jackets.  These
are distinguished primarily by the lists of ML titles.
Jacket 1 (listing the first 12 titles) and jacket 2 (listing
18 titles including the six published in July 1917) have the
paragraph symbol.  Jackets 3-12 have the large initial.

The images of Strindberg's Married and France's The Red Lily
in Dogeared are from my collection.  My copy of the Married
jacket is in beautiful condition considering its age and
rarity.  My copy of The Red Lily is in deplorable condition.
Scott's digital restoration for Dogeared is almost
comparable with John Krieger's digital fabrication of the
Gatsby jacket.

John Ely had a copy of Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra in
jacket 1; it's now in the Beinecke Library at Yale along
with the rest of John's ML collection.  A photograph of
John's Nietzsche jacket with the paragraph symbol invisible
against the brown paper background appears in my
article, "The Modern Library Series: Format and Design, 1917-
1977" in Printing History no. 1 (1979) and also in Tom
Dardis's Firebrand: The Life of Horace Liveright (Random
House, 1995), p. 55, where it's credited to the Gordon A.
[sic] Neavill Collection.  I supplied the photograph, but
the book was John's.  For anyone who's interested, Printing
History no. 1 is still available from the American Printing
History Association at $25 for non-members
<http://www.printinghistory.org/htm/journal/back.html>

I'm delighted to see Meredith's Diana of the Crossways in
jacket 2 now posted on Dogeared.  Another example of jacket
2 in remarkably fine condition is Butler's The Way of All
Flesh in the possession of Joe Hill.

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor